Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 1: Kids and Healthy Food

Green Salad the kids and I made afters school 
Thought I would do a little follow up to yesterday's post.  Here's a run down of the day:
  • Breakfast: was of the usual fair nothing special.  
  • Gym Snack,  I added a tupperware container filled with strawberries, raspberries and grapes along with some cow cheese.  Kay ate the fruit, Kasey did not.  
  • At lunch I made pinwheels wrap sandwiches with TURKEY (they never eat turkey, but presented nicely in a pinwheel they didn't even notice!), light shredded cheese, and ranch dressing all wrapped up in whole wheat wraps.  Bonus for getting them to eat turkey and also for using a new 'kind' of sandwich presentation.  At first Kasey pulled her I HATE IT routine just looking at it...I ignored her..let her whine..told her that she didn't have to eat it but there would be no computer time till she did...she whined some more...and eventually came around and ate the whole thing!  
  • After school snack:  The kids made a 'green salad' themselves...I let them chop grapes and apples with butter knifes on the chopping board and then we played a game together while they ate.   It made for a great afternoon activity.  (ok I will fess up we also added chocolate fishies to the salad LOL)
  • Dinner was a bit of a disaster.  I made a chicken curry dish that I love, its very sweet and mild and I even went for chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts thinking the kids would like that better (less dry).  Kay again ate it up no problem.  Kasey took one look at it and threw a huge fit.  She proceeded to YELL AND SCREAM for what seemed like forever.  We ignored her.  We told her she did't have to eat it, but there would be no dessert or helping in the fun dessert we planned to make.  We did our best to tune her out and we focused on Kayleigh who was being good and tried to talk to her about   school.  Kasey finally quieted down and I put her on my lap and tried to get her to eat.  She ate her cauliflower but went nuts with the chicken.  I gave up.  I got up from the table and Kay and I made our special dessert together.  We made a parfait with vanilla pudding we made ourselves and raspberries, and some cool whip.  Kasey yelled and cried about wanting to help and have some and I calmly explained she wasn't going to help because of the fit she threw.  I feel like I failed...yet I feel like we did our best...dinner's and many things our trying with our lovely little 3 year old right now...later on in the evening she was hungry and I gave her cut up apples and PB...she ate 2 bowls of them.  Then she asked for her 'ZERT' and I again explained why she couldn't have it.  I am going to try and make it easier on us all tomorrow night and pick something she won't turn her nose up to.  Hopefully, then I can give her some positive attention and show her what a nice dinner time looks like. 
  • kids are in bed and I am pooped and all I want is to eat the bag of choc chips in the freezer...sigh...

    7 comments:

    Laura said...

    Good job. Stay tough. Like everything else, after a few days of being strong, they start to understand what they need to do.

    Sara said...

    I am so excited to read these posts! My 5 1/2 year old is a great eater but my 31/2 has severe food aversions that started at 13 mos after 6 mos of ear infections. Meal times are so frustrating with him and it feels like an uphill screaming battle. I've been sticking to the 'same number of bites as your age' rule and it's slowly improving things because he at least understands he has to try.

    HeatherFeather said...

    you did good mama! Stick to your guns! But you are right, preparing foods you know will be a success will be easier on you until you get into a better routine!

    If we want curry, I make two meals. I flat out know they won't eat some stuff we want so those are the days I make them their dinner and Allan and I have what we want too....with no drama!

    hazmat kits said...

    Thanks for sharing such a great and healthy food. Every thing looking excellent. I really excited for that.

    Promosyon said...

    Great healthy food which you share above. I attract by that. Every thing looking so beautiful and informative for me.

    radio controlled jets said...

    Green apple is such a healthy food for kids and also good for skin. I impressed by that. Every thing looking awesome.Excellent information which you share above.

    akro mills bins said...

    This recipe is really very healthy for eat. I will try to made at my home. It is very informative post for me. I appreciate your work.