Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Engaging

ok so the picture doesn't really have anything to do with the post but its cute, ah the life of a wiener 
Remember this post at the beginning of the year?  The one where I chose ENGAGE as my one little word of the year.  Well like most things I started off well and then faltered. I am sad to say that I have been spending much to much time on the internet, and not even quality time doing things that I love like blogging.  No, I have been obsessively checking Facebook to see what's going on, chatting with friends, and 'pinning' on Pinterest.  I don't like the person I am when I spend to much time online, I don't like how I half listen to my children and how I sometimes blatantly ignore them.  I tell myself its because I am a stay at home mom that I chat with my friends online so much.  That if I was in an office with 'real' people to talk to I wouldn't need to do this.  I tell myself that its my 'escape'/break from the craziness of the kids.  But here's the thing, if I was engaging with the kids, actually paying attention to them, and playing with them, they are not whiny, they don't fight, and they are may I saw AWESOME.  Time is passing so fast, and they are at such a cool age right now.  I am missing the moments of this age, I am missing out on truly getting to know these little people.  The past two night after dinner, instead of 'escaping' off into the land of the internet I have played with the kids.  I have sat on the floor and played jacks and lego.  I have laughed, the kids have laughed, I have peed my pants from laughing, and Kasey peed her pants because she was having too much fun to go to the bathroom!  Dude, these are not moments to be missed!  A couple weeks ago, the girls and I made an impromptu road trip to Grandma's and I left my laptop behind.  I can't tell you how good it felt to 'unplug' for a couple days.  The girls and I were outside by 7:30 AM picking wildflowers and walking to the park.  We played together all day and when it came time for bed I went to sleep right along side them.  I truly enjoyed those days.   So I am hereby on a strict internet DIET, a little time with my JAVA in the am, a peak at lunch, and then I may do as I please at night when the kids are in bed.  Its time to truly LIVE this LIFE of mine.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I ADORE YOU! Nuff said! XOOX

Mellisa said...

love.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not Katie...you are describing the good ole days. It is times like these that you realize tehnology is not all that it is cracked up to be. snugs and hugs Jan

Laura said...

Don't be so hard on yourself :( I am in the same boat, but consciously look away from the computer when Cate talks to me and try to limit my surfing to 15 mins segments. Baby steps...

Stay Funny said...

sweets, don't be to hard and happy you are taking corrective steps to balance your internet time and engage with the girls - hugs ♥

sara said...

I can relate all too well. First, I came here via brave girls.. I saw a photo you posted (yeah, ages ago, but I'm slow!) and so I wanted to know more. Just wanted to let you know how I got here! :)

anyway, I have 2 boys - a nearly 6 (gulp!) year old and a 4.5 year old and I am totally guilty of the same thing. And, try as I might, I never change it. It sucks because it's SO hard to change habits. But, you're right... my kids are so much easier to deal with, so much more fun and likable and - this right here should be enough to make me stop (but sadly isn't): I FEEL BETTER! Ugh.

Being a stay at home mom is hard, though. It truly is. And if we weren't wasting time on the internet (or, back in the time before internet, I'm thinking of what my mom did) we'd be watching soaps or something like that. I think it's natural and normal and the women posting photos of their craft-a-thons with their precious children aren't being truly honest all the time with their readers. Sorry, this is a little tangent of mine. ;) Just wanted you to know that I can totally relate, and I'm right there with you, trying so hard to change, regardless of how many times I may have to start over. And dude... you make some pretty rad art. I just have to say.

Take care of you!

sara said...

I hope that worked. That was a huge old comment. Sorry!