Thursday, March 19, 2009

TO DO before 30...


I'm kicking this funk I have been into the curb! Spring is in the air and I feel alive again. My lungs are filled with sweet cucumber and dirt spring air. Earlier this week inspired by Tanya's post on starting running I went for a run/walk. I headed out for what I intended to be a walk with the girls in their double stroller. I even put running shoes on which is very unusual since I always wear crocs (snow, rain or sun). The air was so sweet with spring and my feet felt so damn 'runny' in my runners that I couldn't help but want to run. So for the next 30 min I would walk a block and then run a block and so on (while pushing 60 pounds of kiddlets in stroller). It FELT SO GOOD...really and truly good. I breathed deeply taking the air into my lungs and letting it spread through my body, literally airing the FUNK out of me. The following day I walked the girls to playgroup rather than driving and then yesterday did another walk/run with the kids.

I used to run in my youth, I was really good at it too. I could run and run, distance was my game. I wasn't a sprinter but I could do endurance. This past weekend I was going through my old diaries and I noticed a recurring theme in my TO DO BEFORE 30 Lists...they all said run a marathon and write a book. Well I am 32 and I have not done either of these things. I have spent the last few months doing writing exercises and keeping a journal. I feel as though I have been "warming up and stretching" so to speak. That I am ready to take those first steps toward making my dreams come true. The last year has really been one of reflection, healing and change for me and I feel like something great is coming.

Stay tuned....

4 comments:

Tanya said...

glad to be a little bit of an inspiration to start that push. Perhaps you can do the same for me if i ever slip of my determined "band wagon". My goal at the moment is to be able to run 5km...that will be a definite triumph! Cannot wait to see where you go!

Stay Funny said...

I know that you have all in you to make your dream come true!
Sendding supporting vibs!

Shannon said...

Hey Katie,

I started running about three years ago (using the run/walk method) and now I can run 15K. You could for sure do that marathon if you put your mind to it.

Marlene said...

Yayy for you Katie! I am sure one day you will fulfill your dreams. You could start with a 1/2 marathon - join me in the Army Run in the fall :-).

Oh - and I still run / walk - that is the Running Room way. Run 10 minutes, walk 1. Really helps with building the distance.