Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Utopia


I was sitting in an ice fishing hut a week ago with my Brother in Law. Yes you heard that right I was in an ice fishing hut. While sitting around a cold hole in the ice, eating chewy chocolate chip cookies we started talking about the economic woes in North America. Now I am the first to admit that I am rather ignorant when it comes to the happenings of the world outside of my little bubble in Barhaven. I don't read or watch the news and sadly am often informed of news events through Perezhilton.com. If its not about vampires or scrapbooking I am not likely to read it. During our conversation in the surprisingly warm fish hut my BIL told me that I couldn't live in an Utopia. Now I have to say he did not say it with menace or harm intended and it wasn't taken that way. But the word did stick with me all week and I turned it over in my mind many times.

I do live in my own little Utopia and I like it.

I have two beautiful, healthy children. I am married to my soul mate whom I met at age 16. I have the most wonderful family, 2 Super Sisters, my Marmie and Daddy. I have been blessed with the most awesome friends. I live in a cozy cute home, in a neighborhood prefect or us. I get to stay home and raise my children. I create almost every day. My husband has a very good job that allows for our lifestyle and saving for the future. I live in Canada. Yes over the years I have come to thank God for living in this beautiful country.

I don't take any of these blessings for granted. I thank God EVERY day for them. I know that our soldiers are dying, coming home broken. That there are families being granted 3 hour reprieves from bombing so that they can go buy ESSENTIAL supplies while I worry about whether I will have 3 hours to scrapbook tonight. I know that SIXTEEN THOUSAND CHILDREN in Ottawa depend on the food bank. I know that there are sick children and saddened Mommies and Daddies. I know that my Utopia could shatter at anytime.

I do not how many points the DOW dropped. I have no idea what the DOW is. I don't understand the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. I don't know who to vote for.

In University I took a Women's Studies class (don't get me started on how much I hated it) and we used to have discussion sessions in small groups with a TA. I referred to them as the WOE IS ME GROUP...."Woe is me..I am a woman." My TA told me that my opinions didn't matter because I came from a PRIVILEGED background. Yes she is right I am privileged. I also have known tragedy in the loss of a friend to a disease and suicide. I have fought the demons of an eating disorder and watched it tear at my family. A family that fought valiantly back. I have held my husband as he lost both parents in less than a span of a year.

I am thankful for my Utopia. And I plan on enjoying it as long as I can.

And I am also going to try to watch the news and read the newspaper from time to time, if not for anything else but to be even more thankful.

PS. the photo was taken by the talented Marlene .

9 comments:

Jen said...

I think your Utopia sounds beautiful. I also think you know how blessed you are and that makes it okay. If I were you, I wouldn't change anything.

Stay Funny said...

ouffff I need a coffee and re-read this! Beautiful Katie. Embrace life and your beautiful and I'm happy to be in it.

Pamela said...

Hugs gal... You are my hero!... Love to read your hearfelt words... I wish we lived near enough to be "see ya at the coffee shop" friends... Later lady, and keep the faith and gratitude goin'!!

Louise Dubord said...

Wow! You know, it wasn't Utopia, when you were helping your husband grieve, or when your friend passed away... One has to be very strong to go through that. I know we do what we have to do and make the best with the cards we are dealt, but it still takes an exceptional person to also recognize the good stuff. So many people focus on the negative all the time. You are a brave and beautiful person inside and out. And I am very happy to have met you and hope I will see you again soon. You are blessed with the life you created for yourself. You earned it.

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW Katie, thank you for sharing your words, so real and so true, a reminder of all these things that are so important, yet we seem to forget about them. Thanks for the reality check my sweet Katie, your rock girl :) Kare Bear

Marlene said...

I like to live in a bubble too so I totally understand where you are coming from. You are such an amazing woman - I love how you are so real and true to yourself.

Marlene said...

Back again - thanks for using my photo :-).

Laura Carew said...

I love my Utopia... and it's right next to yours!

As for staying in touch with the bigger picture... just watch Rick Mercer and he will keep you up to date with all you need to know about Canadian politics in a 30 mintue weekly dose :)

Diva Loca said...

dude - update your blog - you are KILLING ME....